alsa troubles

Raul A. Gallegos raul at asmodean.net
Mon Jun 11 17:06:31 EDT 2001

I don't mind basic because I'm not against the idea that I've foobarred somewhere.

Below is a checklist of what I've done.

On Sat, 9 Jun 2001 09:23:10 -0700 (PDT), Cheryl Homiak wrote:

>Ok, this is all going to sound really basic, but check the following.
>Is sound support enabled in your kernel compile--sound support but no
>sound devices.

Correct.  Only said y to sound support, n to the rest.

>2.  I am wondering about your compile order; I can't find anything about
>it now, but somehow I had the impression you needed to compile the libs
>before the driver, but in that case you should have had an error when
>compiling the driver.  Did you check your compiles at each step for
>errors?  Not trying to be insulting, just trying not to miss anything.

Compile in the order I did was no errors.  Not insulting at all.

>3. Have you checked /var/log/messages for a record of what happened when
>the sound driver loaded?  Also, have you checked the info on your screen
>before the login prompt?  A problem with loading the module(s) should show
>up there.

Yes and there is nothing mentioning anything regarding sound.  When I try running /ec/rc.d/alsa start I get a lot of insmod errors though.

>4. Have you also checked your /lib/modules/(whatever version kernel you're
>using) to see if the necessary modules actually got installed there?

They were installed in /lib/modules/2.2.19/misc as they should have been.

>5.  What messages do you get if you type "amixer" and/or "alsactl store"?

root at stoned:~# amixer
The alsa driver was not detected in this system.

>6. I'm not familiar with what card you're using, ut if it's a
>plug-and-play and you used isapnp support, do you now have a isapnp.conf
>file and what does it tell you?

I only have an isapnp.conf-sample.  I have an sb-64 isa pnp.

>These are all the ideas I can think of at the moment.  Even if none of
>them help, maybe one of them will lead you to the problem.

Thanks.  Also, the card is not listed in /proc/interrupts and /proc/devices

Raul A. Gallegos -- raul at asmodean.net
msn id: ragallegos at hotmail.com -- icq: 5283055
http://www.asmodean.net