alsa troubles

Cheryl Homiak chomiak at worldfront.com
Sat Jun 9 12:23:10 EDT 2001

Ok, this is all going to sound really basic, but check the following.
Is sound support enabled in your kernel compile--sound support but no
sound devices.
2.  I am wondering about your compile order; I can't find anything about
it now, but somehow I had the impression you needed to compile the libs
before the driver, but in that case you should have had an error when
compiling the driver.  Did you check your compiles at each step for
errors?  Not trying to be insulting, just trying not to miss anything.
3. Have you checked /var/log/messages for a record of what happened when
the sound driver loaded?  Also, have you checked the info on your screen
before the login prompt?  A problem with loading the module(s) should show
up there.
4. Have you also checked your /lib/modules/(whatever version kernel you're
using) to see if the necessary modules actually got installed there?
5.  What messages do you get if you type "amixer" and/or "alsactl store"?
6. I'm not familiar with what card you're using, but if it's a
plug-and-play and you used isapnp support, do you now have a isapnp.conf
file and what does it tell you?
These are all the ideas I can think of at the moment.  Even if none of
them help, maybe one of them will lead you to the problem.

                              Cheryl