alsa troubles

Kirk Reiser kirk at braille.uwo.ca
Mon Jun 11 18:31:29 EDT 2001

Hi Raul:  it looks like from this message that you don't have the
isapnp stuff set up correctly.  I don't know whether you understand
how it works or not, so I'll outline it here.

First you run pnpdump with the output to a file:

pnpdump >isapnp.conf (in your home directory for now)

You need to edit this file and uncomment the lines where you want the
card to live.  pnpdump will put a zillion options in the file.  I
usually just edit the first soundblaster set to be what I want.  The
important ones are irq, io/base and the two dma channels.  The rest of
the support you cango back and fill in later after you get the basic
operation working.  If it is to confusing, let me know and I'll send
you one of mine as an example.

After editing the file you copy it into /etc and type:

isapnp isapnp.conf

Isapnp should give you an okay if it works okay.  I can't remember the
message off hand.  It'll bitch like hell if it doesn't work.  Once
that loads correctly then make sure your snd_irq and so forth in your
modules.conf file match where you told isapnp to put the card and do a
modprobe snd-card-sb16 or whatever.

  Kirk

phone: (519) 661-3061