software speech for speakup

Kirk Wood cpt.kirk at 1tree.net
Sun Jun 10 14:53:55 EDT 2001

> How much is "a great deal" exactly..? software speech was possible on my
> old 386 and even the most low-end pentium runs 50 times the speed of that!
> tts takes only a tiny fraction of the CPU power required for speech
> recongition or a winmodem.

While Kerry already pointed out some other simplifications, this is an
very gross example. First, the math is wrong on. Few of us can afford a
machine with the 1.2 GHz machine to get 50 times the clock speed of a 25
MHz machine from the 486 days. But there are other factors like the fact
that doubling the clock speed doesn't yeild a machine twice as fast. In
fact, the high end machine today is not even 10 times as fast as the 486
of yesteryear. This is not saying anything for those poor soulds who are
still chugging along on old hardware since it is cheaper to keep what you
have then buy new.

As for the amount of processor time eaten by the winmodem, I don't think
it is eating nearly as much as you seem to think. Certainly downloading a
file using a winmodem doesn't slow the system down as much as any software
speech I have yet to see on the winblows machines. And yes, I have some
experiance to see both.

Finally, perhaps you should also learn to hit the reply instead of reply
to all.

=======
Kirk Wood
Cpt.Kirk at 1tree.net

Nothing is hard if you know the answer or are used to doing it.