software speech for speakup

Kerry Hoath kerry at gotss.eu.org
Sun Jun 10 13:17:20 EDT 2001

You're over symplifying here. Good text to speech with real speech
synthesis for example rsynth requires a fair bit of floating point to achieve.
It would run a tad slugishly on my 486dx/33 with 80% cpu usage.
I'd hardly call this minimal cpu cycles.
What text to speech used to run on your 386? sbtalker? That's got more
than one patent on it and we can't use their technology even if they would
give it to us.

Yes esound can mix audio streams but now we need to wait not only for the sound
drivers to load but we'd better hope esound initializes properly or we get no speech.
Note that mixing channels in software with esound is expensive cpu-wise, and
we're allready burning cycles in kernel space for speakup and for the synthesis.
Also note that we need to retain some degree of responsiveness with this system; how long
is it going to take when we hit the shut up key for all the buffers to empty or for outgoing
speech to be killed? Do we have a synthesis buffer that must also be flushed?

I'm one of the first ones to say I want software speech for speakup one day, but let's firstly
get in kernel speech (tuxtalk) working so we have a
small free speech engine available for our use.
Using IBM Viavoice isn't an option for everyone since there are lisencing restrictions.

Regards, Kerry.