I'm writing a FAQ.

Frank Carmickle frankiec at braille.uwo.ca
Fri Jun 1 16:57:02 EDT 2001

On Fri, 1 Jun 2001, Ann Parsons wrote:

> 			     SPEAKUP FAQ
>
> q.  what is Speakup?
>
> q.  Who invented Speakup?
>
> q.  When was it first released?
>
> q.  Why should I use Speakup?
>
> q.  Where do I get speakup?

I think that all of the previous questions could be consolidated in to a
single question of who what where when how and why!

> q.  What kind of computer equipment do I need to run Speakup?
>
> q.  What speech synthesizers are supported by Speakup.

> q.  Can I use software speech with Speakup?

Again consolidation would be good for one question about equipment.

> q.  Will Speakup work on a Windows system?

I think this question can be taken care of in the introductory material.

> q.  What is the best version of Linux for a blind person?

Let's not address this one please?  Religious war fair is not needed.

> q.  I have heard about Emacspeak.  How does Speakup differ and which
>     is better, or do I need both?
>
> q.  How do I install Speakup?

This question should point users to various appropriate installation
materials for distributions.

It seems to me that there are a lot of often answered questions on the
mailing list that need to be addressed so that people don't continue to
ask and answer the same questions.  A suggested list might be.

q. What versions of speakup work with what kernels?

q. why doesn't speakup come up talking when I use bla bla bla distros
boot disk?

q. what is the status of cursering?

q. what are the current goals of speakup short term and long term?

HTH

 --
     Frank Carmickle
phone:     412 761-9568