truth in cable

Kirk Wood cpt.kirk at 1tree.net
Fri Jul 13 23:19:08 EDT 2001

There are good and bad providers. But as for the cable being limited, it
is true. Except that adding more bandwidth to the cable system is a simple
matter. They can add another chanel for the cable modem to communicate on
and this adds the equivelant of 2 T1 lines to the bandwidth.

You will not know that you can have DSL until they actually have it
installed on your phone line. I have known at least two people who had
appointments for installation and then found out their line didn't
work. One of them didn't even get notified.

I have heard more horror stories of DSL then cable. I have heard them
about both. I would never count on actually getting help for your linux
box. Then again, I wouldn't count on getting much help for my winblows box
either. Given the current state of tech support, I think those who depend
on support for their knowledge are casting their lot to the wind.

There are some great people doing tech support. My roommate is very good
at her job. She has been working at an ISP for more then three years. But
she is the exception. Keep in mind that the average tenure at any tech
support job is on the order of 9 months. Given that many internal support
positions remain filled for years at a time, that means chances are when
you call tech support, you will talk with some person who is still afraid
of their computer and has been on the job less then 3 months.

If you have a relationship with a company that works stick with it. Do not
give it up over a choice in broadband technology. Charles, I will assure
you though that you know more about your computer then the guy who answers
the call next time.

=======
Kirk Wood
Cpt.Kirk at 1tree.net

The mind is like a parachute; it works much better when open.
If you're too open minded, your brains will fall out.