truth in cable

Kaare Dehard kaare at home.com
Sat Jul 14 04:17:25 EDT 2001

-----Original Message-----
From: speakup-admin at braille.uwo.ca
[mailto:speakup-admin at braille.uwo.ca]On Behalf Of Kirk Wood
Sent: Friday, July 13, 2001 11:19 PM
To: Speakup List
Subject: truth in cable

There are good and bad providers. But as for the cable being limited, it
is true. Except that adding more bandwidth <snip>
Hi Folks I haven't written to the list in some time, but as a tech working
at the cable companies isp I can vouch for the truth of the statement. Two
problems exist in the cable area as far as techs are concerned. First off a
lot of the time the call center mentality often will get in the way as far
as getting quality tech support. Many of my colleagues are too interested in
stats driven pay bonuses to really help out with issues that involve proper
trouble shooting procedure. The second is even though many of them may have
technical background, they either don't take any pride in the work they are
doing or they have no customer service skills. Personally I already get paid
plenty for the work that I do and would be embarrassed to accept a bonus
that rewards me for doing less than my best work. Cheers Kaare.
 Then again, I wouldn't count on getting much help for my winblows box

I WOULDN'T EITHER, AS FAR AS THE EVIL Policy deals with it most of us have
limited or no linux training and @home in California backs this up with that
end user agreement which only provides win support. There was or may still
be a good news group called @home Unix which deals with many issues related
to Unix/linux boxes on cable networks that you all might want to subscribe
to at some point. Cheers again.