seeking advice for speeders

Raul A. Gallegos raul at asmodean.net
Sun Jul 15 14:36:22 EDT 2001

Hi.  I know I'm late on this subject but as a user of both dsl and cable and as an employee for Sprint Broadband I'll add my 2 cents worth.  From what I've
noticed with cable users is that the more people using your particular segment of your service the slower it will be but this means everyone will have to be
using the net pretty hard to notice.  Also if you are a big downloader and so is your neighbor using the same segment your speeds will slow down
considerablly.  I have not used the home services but I have used and am currently using Road Runner.  If I had to rate them on tech support I would give
them a 1 because they don't seem to know which way is up.  This is even telling them I have windows.  I don't even want to mention that dreaded word
Linux to them.  Their performance however is rated at a 9.  I've only had one outage and my through put has been excellent.  The other day I downloaded 3
iso images at the same time and had blazing speeds at around 2.5 megabits per second on all 3 downloads.  Right now the reason I'm using rr.com is
because I'm waiting for my Sprint ION service to get installed wich is a static IP address as well as 8.0 megabit bandwidth capability, a phone line and lond
distance minutes all bundled up in to one.  The isp portion of the dsl is Earthlink.net and before moving to my current location I used Earthlink.net for dsl and
that was only down once.  The through put was awesome usually rated at around 1.5 megabits per second.  I've seen that over all cable will be faster than
dsl especially because dsl is controlled at the speeds you are allowed to get and is definitely distant dependent.  However for me dsl has been more stable
than cable even though cable has been faster.  I would rather go with stability than randomness.  In the end I get a discount on Sprint ION so that also was
a deciding factor.  When it comes down to it though I've only once had a tech support person even know what Linux is and was able to help and suggest
on things.  But you can't count on that.  If you choose dsl you will get a promo sometimes of free equipment, installation, etc.  usually that is on the
requirement that you stick with the service for 12 months or 6 months.  With cable though I've hardly seen any requirements and the installation takes far
less time to schedule and get done.

Hope all this helps.  Best regards.