dosemu and speakup

Janina Sajka janina at afb.net
Thu Jul 12 15:31:28 EDT 2001

The c:> prompt speaks for me on my several systems. This could be very
valuable for any DOS programs that one might have to run which work well
from a command line. DOSEMU would not be as valuable, imho, for more
elaborate applications such as WordPerfect 5.1, because we would not have
access to the functionality provided by our old DOS screen readers such as
asap and vocal-eyes. Much work went into providing "set files" which made
various screens, such as the (F5) directory screen in WordPerfect, and the
(Ctrl-F2) spell check screen speak more effectively. None of that
functionality is immediately available in speakup.

What would be cool, and should probably work, is to shut speakup off and
actually run asap or vocal-eyes (or one of the others) with the old
reliable DOS apps. Judging from the DOSEMU documentation, this would be
possible--but would doubtless not share the synth with speakup, so one
would need yet another hardware speech synthesizer on yet another port.

Still in all, it is pretty darn cool, this DOSEMU thing.

On Wed, 11 Jul 2001, Gregory Nowak wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I just installed dosemu.
> Leaving speakup running to see what happens, I proceded to run it as I prepared to look for my floppy with provox7 on it.
> To my surprise and delight, speakup spoke everything right up until the c prompt.
> It continued speaking as I listed the directory
> and did various other things until typing exitemu, and going back to the
> bash prompt. Is this something that's known (speakup works under dosemu without the need for a dos screen reader),
> or did I accidentally stumble across something new here?
> Greg

				Janina Sajka, Director
				Technology Research and Development
				Governmental Relations Group