dosemu and speakup

Gene Collins collins at gene3.ait.iastate.edu
Wed Jul 11 17:29:42 EDT 2001

Hi Greg.  No, you didn't find anything new, but it is kind of cool.  The
problem comes when you do things that scroll the screen or that require
direct access to video memory.  Speakup won't do as well with programs
that need direct video access, and will repeat a lot of information for
programs that need to scroll the screen.  It takes a bit of fiddling,
but it is possible to get your DOS screen reader to run along side of
speakup.  If you are running the latest cvs version of Speakup, it may
be possible to point one of the DOS com devices at /dev/synthe, and have
your DOS screen reader work that way.  If not, then you have to edit the
synthesizwr file in the Speakup directory for your synth and comment out
the code that registers the serial port with the kernel.  This will let
you share the serial port between the kernel and your dosemu session.
If it works, great!  If not, you get to keep all the pieces.  You should
turn speakup off on the console you intend to run dosemu on before
starting it with your DOS screen reader, otherwise you'll get double
speech.  When running a DOS screen reader, I've found the -c (direct
console) and -k (raw keyboard) flags to be helpful.  You also have to
edit your /etc/dos/conf file to point the com devices at the correct
/dev/ttyS devices.  Hope this helps.

Gene

>Hi All,
>
>I just installed dosemu.
>Leaving speakup running to see what happens, I proceded to run it as I prepare
d to look for my floppy with provox7 on it.
>To my surprise and delight, speakup spoke everything right up until the c prom
pt.
>It continued speaking as I listed the directory
>and did various other things until typing exitemu, and going back to the
>bash prompt. Is this something that's known (speakup works under dosemu withou
t the need for a dos screen reader),