just a few more questions about linux.

Janina Sajka janina at afb.net
Thu Feb 1 09:03:15 EST 2001

I like to say that:

	"If you liked DOS, you're going to love Linux."

And, to put it differently:

"Linux is everything you ever wanted DOS to be."

On Thu, 1 Feb 2001, Geoff Shang wrote:

> Hi:
>
> Well, yeah.  Dos is kinda badly modeled on unix shells, so if you were once
> at home in dos then you will probably get on just fine in linux.  Most
> commands are a bit different and do much more than their dos equivalents,
> but they'll look familiar.  For example, cp instead of copy, cat instead of
> type, rm instead of del, ls instead of dir.  You can pipe and redirect
> output (e.g. "ls |more" or "ls >filelist.txt").  Directories are seperated
> with slashes (/) not backslashes, and you don't have drive letters, just
> mount points.  For example, I have the windows drives on the network
> mounted under /windows, but I could have them anywhere I wanted, really.
>
> I could go on a bit, but instead you might want to read the dos-to-linux
> howto or the win95 to linux howto.  I've not read either, but they might be
> of some help in transposing certain concepts.
>
> Actually, the howtos are a great place to start, I read a lot there when I
> got started.  You can find them at http://www.linuxdocs.org.  Just be aware
> of how old they are and try to get the most recent one before you read it.
> If it's really old (like at least a year) then chances are it's quite out
> of date, depending on the subject, so you might want to ask around for a
> more up-to-date source of information.
>
> Geoff.

				Janina Sajka, Director
				Technology Research and Development
				Governmental Relations Group
				American Foundation for the Blind (AFB)

janina at afb.net
(202) 408-8175
http://www.afb.org/gov.html

The invention of the printing press has been named the crowning
achievement of the past millennium. Yet, electronic publishing will soon
eclipse it. Read our White Paper: "Surpassing Gutenberg" available at:

	http://www.afb.org/ebook.html

Are you developing software? Make it accessible to blind computer users.
Read http://www.afb.org/technology/accessapp.html to learn how.