just a few more questions about linux.

Janina Sajka janina at afb.net
Thu Feb 1 08:38:18 EST 2001

Hi, Sean:

On Thu, 1 Feb 2001, Shaun Oliver wrote:

> I'd like to know if some of the dos commands we use to use and sometimes still do, apply to linux in some way if at all. and if so, how and where?

Yes, in a manner of speaking. Perhaps a bit like English words are a lot
like French words because they have similar meanings and similar roots.

So, for some examples:

In DOS you copy files with 'copy'
In linux/unix you use 'cp'

Here are some more DOS/linux pairs:

move becomes mv
del becomes rm
dir becomes ls

Did you ever write your own batch files? Then you'll find shell scripts
pretty familiar.

In summation, there's a lot of similarity, but you have to learn the new
words, and the new way of putting them together in the correct order to
make up correct syntax.