just a few more questions about linux.

Geoff Shang gshang at uq.net.au
Thu Feb 1 08:02:46 EST 2001

Hi:

Well, yeah.  Dos is kinda badly modeled on unix shells, so if you were once
at home in dos then you will probably get on just fine in linux.  Most
commands are a bit different and do much more than their dos equivalents,
but they'll look familiar.  For example, cp instead of copy, cat instead of
type, rm instead of del, ls instead of dir.  You can pipe and redirect
output (e.g. "ls |more" or "ls >filelist.txt").  Directories are seperated
with slashes (/) not backslashes, and you don't have drive letters, just
mount points.  For example, I have the windows drives on the network
mounted under /windows, but I could have them anywhere I wanted, really.

I could go on a bit, but instead you might want to read the dos-to-linux
howto or the win95 to linux howto.  I've not read either, but they might be
of some help in transposing certain concepts.

Actually, the howtos are a great place to start, I read a lot there when I
got started.  You can find them at http://www.linuxdocs.org.  Just be aware
of how old they are and try to get the most recent one before you read it.
If it's really old (like at least a year) then chances are it's quite out
of date, depending on the subject, so you might want to ask around for a
more up-to-date source of information.

Geoff.