just a few more questions about linux.

Charles Hallenbeck chuckh at mhonline.net
Thu Feb 1 07:52:23 EST 2001

Hi John,
When DOS was new it looked a lot like CP/M. After a couple of revisions it
looked more like Unix. The most familiar things you will find are related
to the fact that the file system is hierarchical like DOS, so you have the
CD command to change directories, MKDIR and RMDIR to make and remove them,
and commands like CP and MV to copy or move files, and LS to show the
contents of directories, much like DIR with lots of options or
switches. DOS borrowed the concept of I/O redirection and connecting
filters together with a pipeline from Unix, so those features are native
to Linux and are used a lot. DOS allows the creation of batch files, and
in Linux those are called "scripts" and are also very popular. DOS gets
its 'personality' from "command.com" which can be enhanced by other shells
such as "4dos" for instance, and in Linux the preferred shell is
"bash" but there are a half dozen others one might install instead.

I am sure there are other similarities I am overlooking, but those are the
first ones to occur to me.

Chuck

My web site is http://www.mhonline.net/~chuckh