two steps forward one step back

Charles Hallenbeck chuckh at mhonline.net
Tue Dec 11 15:08:05 EST 2001

The HD was not changed in the upgrade process. The first partition is
500MB for DOS, the second is a 2 GB Linux boot partition, the 3rd is swap
space, the fourth is an extended partition with several logical partitions
holding the rest of the Linux system plus some archive space. Lilo goes to
Linux after two seconds during which I used to be able to select DOS, but
not any more. Selecting DOS now reverts to running Linux again but it
hangs during the boot process. I tried reinstalling lilo but have not
played with the "compact" setting.

I am not sure what the motherboard is, but the processor is an Athlon XP
1600+; Linux reports a clock speed of 1400 MHz and 256 MB of system
memory.