How to keep modem permissions from changing?

Jacob Schmude jacobs at surferie.net
Sun Dec 2 03:22:29 EST 2001

Hi
   You're not using the DevFS by chance, are you? If so, you need to make sure that devfsd is configured to save and restore permissions. There's lines that you need to uncomment in devfsd.conf for this. The particular combination I have and notice this is the Lucent winmodem driver with the DevFS. However, in this case (and this case only, it seems) permissions will be saved, but the driver takes them over each time it loads. So they get reset anyway. The lucent driver is the only driver I know of that will do this, so if you're using that combination, you're going to have to put the permission changing lines in /etc/rc.d/rc.local (or whatever your distro uses for that).
   Outside of using an improperly configured devfs, check your startup scripts. All of them, and make sure there're no lines changing these perms. Of particular suspect (if you have it loading) would be the script that sets up your serial ports (/etc/rc.d/rc.serial on slackware). Note that on slackware, rc.serial does not load by default, so first check if it loads at startup.

HTH