Hewlet Packard and Linux

Janina Sajka janina at afb.net
Fri Aug 24 16:29:03 EDT 2001

Liz:

I think Charley was talking about accessibility companies. I think that
would be folks like GW and Freedom Scientific.

Can one make money in linux? Absolutely--but you do it differently than
you do in Windows. History is replete with examples of companies that had
thriving businesses and then went out of business because they failed to
understand how to make a go of it when the earth moved under their feet.

Anyone remember Smith-Corona?

Or, how about Remington/Univac? They were even into computers.

On Fri, 24 Aug 2001, Liz Hare wrote:

> >"no market," but the radical truth is more like "We haven't a
> >clue of how to get money for it."
>
> Forgive a comment from an extreme newbie who doesn't even *have* Linux yet.
>
> I've been looking at the companies who make Linux preinstalled systems
> (there's a long list at linux.org), and they seem to have some kind of
> market niche because some of them use hardware that has been tested and is
> known to be Linux-compatible.  With the Windoze dominance of the entire
> computing market, it's attractive to me to buy a system whose components
> are known to be compatible with Linux.  It seems better than ordering
> elsewhere and not being sure the different parts of the system will work
> well with Linux.
>
> any comments or thoughts?
>
> Liz
> Liz Hare, Ph.D.
> Research Associate
> Animal Breeding and Genetics Group
> B47 Morrison Hall
> Cornell University
> Ithaca, NY 14853
> (607) 255 2380
> eh51 at cornell.edu

				Janina Sajka, Director
				Technology Research and Development
				Governmental Relations Group
				American Foundation for the Blind (AFB)

Chair, Accessibility SIG
Open Electronic Book Forum (OEBF)
http://www.openebook.org

Surpassing Gutenberg, at http://www.afb.org/ebook.asp

http://www.afb.org/mlkweb.asp

Learn how to make accessible software at
http://www.afb.org/accessapp.asp