Hewlet Packard and Linux

Liz Hare eh51 at cornell.edu
Fri Aug 24 16:12:23 EDT 2001

>"no market," but the radical truth is more like "We haven't a
>clue of how to get money for it."

Forgive a comment from an extreme newbie who doesn't even *have* Linux yet.

I've been looking at the companies who make Linux preinstalled systems
(there's a long list at linux.org), and they seem to have some kind of
market niche because some of them use hardware that has been tested and is
known to be Linux-compatible.  With the Windoze dominance of the entire
computing market, it's attractive to me to buy a system whose components
are known to be compatible with Linux.  It seems better than ordering
elsewhere and not being sure the different parts of the system will work
well with Linux.

any comments or thoughts?

Liz
Liz Hare, Ph.D.