silencing Speakup on certain virtual consoles?

Adam Myrow myrow at eskimo.com
Sun Aug 19 17:20:23 EDT 2001

I read that Speakup could be configured in such a way that it wouldn't
talk on certain virtual consoles.  Is this true?  How would it be done?
Also, would this free up the numeric keypad for other applications?  Is
there a better way to free up the numeric keypad?

The main reason I'm interested in this is that Slackware Linux comes with
a CD player called workbone that uses the numeric keypad, but I can't
figure out a way to use it with Speakup running.  Any ideas are welcome.