Major problem with Speakup.

Janina Sajka janina at afb.net
Fri Aug 17 15:59:48 EDT 2001

If you want the easiest way to get a speakup enabled Redhat kernel, point
your favorite ftp client--on whatever OS and networked computer you do
use--to:

	ftp://speakup.octothorp.org/pub/redhat-7.1

and download Redhat 7.1 with speakup already compiled in.

Easiest? I think so--even though downloading ISO images takes time. There
are many reasons why your attempts to patch a source tree with speakup may
have failed. The fact of the matter is that speakup does compile 2.4.X
kernels. I'm currently running a post Redhat 7.1 with one of Bill's
kernels--2.4.7 to be more precise.

Also, if you can't, or don't want to download an entire iso, just get the
boot floppy image and rawrite. This will give you a speakup enabled
kernel.

Ward
wrote:

> Ok, this helps, and doesn't help. The computer in question does not have a
> connection to the internet, and won't have one.
> How can I just get the current cvs, and apply it with out having to strip
> the computer apart, install a modem, setup a internet connection, apply the
> cvs, and then take the modem back out, and put it back in the machine I took
> it from.
> Why can't Kirk or someone put the cvs patches somewhere where I can download
> the latestSpeakup, already patched, and patch the kernel from that?
> Why does this have to be so hard. The way it looks to me I will have to blow
> away another machine just to make a dumb kernel for a machine that has been
> a stand alone Linux box.
> I relize this might be an unusual situation, but I don't use Linux as my
> primary operating system, and thus it doesn't get all of the attention
> others would put into it. However, I have to get these cvs patches without
> going through heck to apply them.
> Also the person I am making the kernel for wants to have the Speakup source
> with the current CVS applied, and so far I see nothing like that.
> Ok, any help from here would be vary welcome. Thanks, and please help me out
> with this one.

				Janina Sajka, Director
				Technology Research and Development
				Governmental Relations Group
				American Foundation for the Blind (AFB)

Chair, Accessibility SIG
Open Electronic Book Forum (OEBF)
http://www.openebook.org

Surpassing Gutenberg, at http://www.afb.org/ebook.asp

http://www.afb.org/mlkweb.asp

Learn how to make accessible software at
http://www.afb.org/accessapp.asp