down for the count

philwh at gate.net philwh at gate.net
Sat Sep 30 15:36:46 EDT 2000

I just want to drop my 0.001 cent in here.
The company I work for just bought one of the dells with
linux preinstalled. it was redhat by the way.
the first console does come up with x-windows,
but you can change to another virtual console and get a
text login.
I had to configure it as a ppp server,
and it wasn't an easy task. redhat isn't the most friendly
linux distribution to work with.
i agree with others here, stick with slackware.
I run 4 machines with slackware at home,and hav never had
a problem. whereas at work, I must use redhat,
and seem to have problems installing any package
that doesn't happen to come in an rpm package.
and, i wasn't overly impressed with the dell machine either.
it came as a desktop machine, and didn't seem to be very upgradable.
although this may have been the fault of the i t person that ordered it.

phil