Distro discusion

Kirk Wood cpt.kirk at 1tree.net
Tue Sep 26 14:49:37 EDT 2000

I am familiar with the document on where files should be placed. I don't
know from first had how Debian is, but they seem to be the most compliant
distribution arround. I know they try to follow the standard on file
placement. They also work hard to reduce the amount of unneeded internet
traffic downloading a lot of options you won't use anyway. I also like the
idea of choosing what goes into your system.

I have yet to take the time to try it out though. I did try Corel linux
which is based off Debian. Though I liked the package concept, Corel made
too many insane dependancies. For instance in Corel you can't have X
without having a lot of crap. For instance it forces you to have NFS,
Samba, and another file sharing mechanism. That is insane, I don't want to
share files just cause I want a GUI. That is not a good connection.

--
Kirk Wood
Cpt.Kirk at 1tree.net

Seek simplicity -- and distrust it.