New user encountering problems

Kirk Wood cpt.kirk at 1tree.net
Sat Sep 23 12:58:36 EDT 2000

I don't know why you might have had the troubles you mentioned Jacob. I
have two rethat systems myself and have never had any trouble with custom
kernels. I don't use make install to place them either.

After doing a make BzImage, I copy the new kernel to my /boot dir and
update lilo.conf manually. Personally I don't use the "standard" nameing
scheme. Partly because this only works if you have one kernel. I have
played arround and when doing stuff may try fiv or six different kernels
all with slightly different options in them. Instead, I use a date scheme.

My experiance has been that the kernel can be named anything. It can sit
anyplce on the disk that can be reached using the bios access to the disk.

--
Kirk Wood
Cpt.Kirk at 1tree.net

Seek simplicity -- and distrust it.