Voice Synthesizers and now tripple talk

Kerry Hoath kerry at gotss.eu.org
Sun Sep 10 19:54:04 EDT 2000

Actually if you have a relatively new system with a behaving bios, PCI is a
lot easier to deal with. If all your cards are plug 'n' pray and all are PCI
or don't require ISA interrupts you just put the cards in. Slot order is
important, most of the time interrupts are allocated to slot 1 2 3 4 etc
but there are exceptions.
For example, the Abit BP6 board I have here has 5 pci slots 1 agp and 2 ISA.
Wow you think, 5 PCI slots, coolybars. It's only when you read through the
manual you discover that slots 4 and 5 share a busmaster signal and that slot
3 shares its irq with the onboard HPT366 controller.
Under Linux PCI irq sharing can happen and can be a valid thing to do,
I can even post to the list on the details of how it's done if anyone wants
to know.
The bus master issue however can be a problem, you can't put 2 PCI busmasters
in slots 4 and 5. I had a non-PCI busmaster Tseng et6000 that went into slot
5, and an advansys busmaster in slot 4.
How do you know if a card is a busmaster? cat /proc/pci (if you have the
support compiled into the kernel) or use lspci on the device. If it says,
"Master capable" the card would like to be a busmaster. Some cards can work
without or with busmastering, but usually if they are master capable they get
upset if no bus master signal is available.

If anyone wants to know how or why PCI irqs are allocated, how to interpret
the "bank 0 bank 1 bank 2" display at post or other PC hardware questions,
let me know and I'll try demystify.
Now, where did I put that axe?

Regards, Kerry.