speakup wierdness

Geoff Shang gshang10 at scu.edu.au
Mon Oct 23 02:22:34 EDT 2000

Hi:

You're almost certainly not going to get satisfactory operation from this
type of setup.  For a screen reader to work efficiently, it needs direct
access to the synth it's controling.  This is why you can't get speakup to
shut up - it can't tell your dec pc to shut up.

I'd suggest using a terminal program on your dos box as that's about as
good as you'll be able to do until you get a supported synth or yours
becomes supported.  I accessed my machine for 10 months this way before I
could use speakup.  If you want to access multiple processes at once, you
can use the screen program to switch between them.

Geoff.

--
Geoff Shang <gshang10 at scu.edu.au>
ICQ number 43634701