mandrake 7.1, is it worth trying with speakup

Frank J. Carmickle frankiec at braille.uwo.ca
Sun Oct 15 23:58:12 EDT 2000

Brent.

There is nothing wrong with debian.  The only thing you need for compiling
things successfully is to have compiled a kernel on the machine in the
correct place.  This is something you would need to do on any system to
compile certain things.  It's time for you to get your hands dirty and
quit asking questions.  Get the source for the 2.2.17 kernel, patch
speakup in to it, and learn about how it is done.  There are plenty of
docs that you will need to read.  But this is what we all went through.
I remember the pain of being a newbie and it sucks.  It has been a year
and two months that I have been using Linux and I still have a lot to
learn. I have learned from building boxes for other folks mostly.  The
only way to learn is to get your hands dirty.  Another great way that I
learned was to hang around with the guys on the reflector.  I know that
you have showed up there a few times.  If you show up with questions and
you haven't done your share of reading then I am sure that we will tell
you to "rtfm".  Translated for those who don't know "read the fucking
manual".

I do wish you well with your Linux experience.

FC