software synthesis support

Kirk Reiser kirk at braille.uwo.ca
Tue Jun 13 11:27:48 EDT 2000

Hi Roman:

Roman Vanicek <vanicek at brailcom.cz> writes:
> this is good news. Could you give me some details on the software
> synthesis support architecture you plan to add to speakup?

Currently, we are rewriting rsynth to eventually act like any standard
speakup driver.  We are also extending the drivers to be loadable as
modules and they will support a standard device driver interface in
the /dev system.  They will most likely be part of the major device
misc and will probably have the name /dev/synth.

> Is it possible to get the DoubleTalk command set description somewhere?
> As I have stated earlier we have some software synthesis working and we
> would like speakup to be able to use it in the future. I know rsynth a
> bit (I have played with it some time ago) but it's english "only" :-).

I can send you the DoubleTalk programmers manual if you like.  I would
like to hear more about your software synth.  Is it going to be gpl'd?
I agree it would be nice to support more than just English.  I think
we may be able to extend what I think we are going to call TuxTalk to
also support other languages if we get enough help and responce over time.

> The last question: have you considered to attend the LSM in Bordeaux
> (lsm.abul.org)?

Well, I never heard about it before this mornings posting.  There is
no way I could afford to go to France for a confrence like this.  It
certainly looks interesting though.

  Kirk

phone: (519) 661-3061