a ton of questions

Kirk Wood cpt.kirk at 1tree.net
Sun Dec 31 09:26:39 EST 2000

Gregory,

Try running this as an experiment:
fdisk /dev/hdc
The ideal is that you recieve a message "Command (m for help):" If you get
this, then you are able to speak to the drive. This has been the defining
method for me though there may be other/better ways. If you get this far
you can enter "p" and it will list the partitions it sees.

I would say to keep in mind there could be many other reasons beside
hardware for your not being able to "see" the drive. In fact, that is the
last guess. The ATA66 specification and all others SHOULD fall back to the
older specifications when need be. In fact, when you first boot in Windows
it is using the bios to read the drive. If you can boot to DOS mode and
see your drive it is very unlikely that the hardware is the problem. More
likely is that somewhere you have software translation on the drive.

=======
Kirk Wood
Cpt.Kirk at 1tree.net

Cluelessness
	There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of
	inquisitive idiots