Jim & Mary

Kirk Reiser kirk at braille.uwo.ca
Mon Sep 1 13:25:39 EDT 2003

Jim and Mary were both patients in a Mental Hospital.

One day while they were walking past the hospital swimming pool, Jim
suddenly jumped into the deep end. He sank to the bottom and stayed
there.

Mary promptly jumped in to save him. She swam to the bottom and pulled
Jim out. The medical director learned of Mary's heroic act.

He immediately wrote orders for her discharge from the hospital. He
considered her mentally stable.

When he went to tell Mary the news. He said, "Mary, I have good news
and bad news. The good news is you're going to be discharged. You
jumped into the pool and saved the life of another patient. I believe
you've regained your full mental capacity and are able to function
normally in society. Here are your discharge papers. The bad news is,
Jim, the patient you saved, hung himself in the bathroom with the belt
to his bathrobe. I am so sorry, but he's dead."

Mary replied "He didn't hang himself. I put him there to dry."