[isabel21 at swbell.net: Egan's Law]

Buddy Brannan davros at ycardz.com
Sun May 5 11:21:20 EDT 2002

Heh. This is really, really bad. Funny though :)

----- Forwarded message from isabel castro <isabel21 at swbell.net> -----

CATHOLIC CHURCH MOVES INTO NEIGHBORHOOD
Controversial "Egan's Law" Expected to Gain Widespread Support

Trenton, N.J. (AP) - Under a new law designed to protect minors, local police
departments will now be required to inform residents any time a known Roman
Catholic church moves into their neighborhood.

New Jersey State Senate debating Egan's Law.  The law also mandates that
Catholic churches register with authorities, wear electronic monitoring
devices, and be prohibited from moving to within a half-mile radius of a
school.

A follow-up to Megan's Law, enacted by New Jersey in 1994, the so-called
"Egan's Law" is named for Cardinal Edward Egan of New York and Cardinal
Bernard Law of Boston, who are both accused of covering up sexual abuse by
priests under their authority. Like Megan's Law, Egan's Law is expected to
spread quickly to other states, but for parents in towns across New Jersey,
it's on the books none too soon.

"Last year, we discovered that a Catholic Church had been in our neighborhood
for 30 years! And nobody told us!" said Ruth Harper of Redbrook, N.J. "My
sons used to walk by that church every day on their way to school. Even now I
shudder to think of what might have happened."

"I always told my kids to steer clear of that place," added neighbor Scott
Carlyle. "But that's because there were a lot of strange people going in and
out at odd hours, even at midnight on Saturdays. I was worried it was some
kind of druggie hangout.  "To think the whole time it was a Roman Catholic
Church. Now I know why they had all those stained glass windows - so nobody
could look in."

Critics, however, charge that Egan's Law is unconstitutional, specifically
because it relies on religious profiling and is intended to safeguard only
one segment of the population: young males. But State Sen. Carmela Truto, a
Catholic who co-sponsored the bill, used church doctrine itself to prove only
one segment needs protection.  "In the Catholic Church, after 2,000 years,
Mary is still a Virgin," she said. "So clearly, they're not interested in
girls."

That statement, however, angered Vatican spokesman Edgar Palowski, who said
it propagated a common misconception about the church. "This doesn't get
reported enough," he said, "but it's a fact that our priests abuse just as
many girls as boys."

----- End forwarded message -----

--
Buddy Brannan, KB5ELV/3  | I choose you to take up all of my time.
Email: davros at ycardz.com | I choose you because you're funny and kind