kirk at braille.uwo.ca
Sun May 12 22:00:54 EDT 2002
Redneck Engineering Exam
1. Calculate the smallest limb diameter on a persimmon tree that will
support a 10 pound possum.
2. Which of the following cars will rust out the quickest when placed on
blocks in your front yard? 66 Ford Fairlane, 69 Chevrolet Chevelle, 64
3. If your uncle builds a still that operates at a capacity of 20 gallons
of shine per hour, how many car radiators are necessary to condense the
4. A pulpwood cutter has a chain saw that operates at 2700 rpm. The density
of the pine trees in a plot to be harvested is 470 per acre. The plot is 2.3
acres in size. The average tree diameter is 14 inches. How
many Budweiser Tallboys will it take to cut the trees?
5. If every old refrigerator in the state vented a charge of R-12
simultaneously, what would be the decrease in the ozone layer?
6. A front porch is constructed of 2x8 pine on 24-inch centers with a field
rock foundation. The span is 8 feet and the porch length is 16 feet. The
porch floor is 1 inch rough sawn pine. When the porch collapses, how many
hound dogs will be killed?
7. A man owns a Tennessee house and 3.7 acres of land in a hollow with an
average slope of 15%. The man has 5 children. Can each of the children place
a mobile home on the man's land?
8. A 2-ton pulpwood truck is overloaded and proceeding 900 yards down a
steep grade on a secondary road at 45 mph. The brakes fail. Given the
average traffic loading of secondary roads, what are the chances that it
will strike a vehicle that has a muffler?
9. A coal mine operates a NFPA Class 1, Division 2 Hazardous Area. The mine
employs 120 miners per shift. A gas warning is issued at the beginning of
3rd shift. How many cartons of unfiltered Camels will be
smoked during the shift?
10. At a reduction in gene pool variability rate of 7.5% per generation,
how long will it take a town that has been bypassed by the interstate to
breed a country-western singer?
More information about the Ohno