speakup and frame buffer?

Gregory Nowak greg at gregn.net
Wed Jun 22 15:28:22 EDT 2016

I sent my suggestion before I saw this. To answer your question, if a
machine has a physical video card, speakup will work very happily
without a framebuffer. However, if there is no physical video card,
and something needs to read the contents of a screen, then a
framebuffer is the way to do that as far as I know. Do you have
speakup in the kernel itself, or as modules? If as modules, then are
they being loaded in something like modprobe.d, or later on in
something like rc.local? If they're being loaded earlier, then the
framebuffer may not be available yet. I seem to recall the framebuffer
comes up rather late in dmesg.

Greg

On Wed, Jun 22, 2016 at 01:40:59PM -0500, John G Heim wrote:
> Does anybody know if speakup needs a frame buffer? I'm trying to get
> speakup working on a machine w/o a video card. It sort of works. I
> was taking shots at what the problem was. I installed a package
> named xvfb hoping to create a virtual frame buffer. That didn't work
> but when I uninstalled it, I got speech until I rebooted.  Then no
> speech again. I am thinking removing the package, xvfb, recreated
> some frame buffer thing which lasted until I rebooted.

> John G. Heim; jheim at math.wisc.edu; sip://jheim@sip.linphone.org

web site: http://www.gregn.net
skype: gregn1