Extended ASCII Characters

Steve Holmes steve at holmesgrown.com
Tue Apr 16 18:15:30 EDT 2013

For the most part, mutt works pretty well around this except for when
you see secondary messages in a thread.  A more obvious example would
be in the Goto URL dialog and other forms in elinks and some of the
dialog based scripts that put up box line characters.  What I'm seeing
is 3 characters in the place a single ASCII line drawing character
would have been.  Another strange thing I noticed over this weekend is
my other Linux box at my permenant home puts a single null character
in the place of these line drawing characters on those dialogues and
that machine also is using the same locale.gen file with UTF8 and
ISO8859-1 or whatever it is for standard US English.  I can't think of
other differences that would cause the bahavior not to be the same
unless something is set differently in elinks.  I didn't spend
additional time on that box to see what else was going on; had speech
dispatcher and other things to deal with at the time.