ubuntu 12.10 / 13.04 and speakup

Gregory Nowak greg at gregn.net
Fri Apr 12 19:56:16 EDT 2013

Why not run windows7 and whatever gnu/linux flavor you want as a
virtual machine under virtualbox? This has been suggested before by
myself and others here, and would save you the trouble of
repartitioning, rebooting, and other issues.

As for your question, I don't think speakup is back in ubuntu yet,
though I could be wrong. So as far as using the CLI, I think your options
would be to use gnome-terminal under orca, build speakup yourself, or
use one of the other user space screen readers like yasr for example.

Greg

On Fri, Apr 12, 2013 at 07:18:00PM +0200, Dietmar Segbert wrote:
> Hello List,
>
> i have a new subnotebook from lenovo, a thinkpad edge e130. On this
> subnotebook is windows 8 installed. I must change the partitions on the
> harddisk to install a second windows 7 and for all a linux system with
> speakup and brltty.
> In the moment i use a debian squeeze on a Asus eePC 1005H.
> I must use a 64bit linux, because the thinkpad edge has a uefi bios and
> windows 8 will use secure boot.
>
> My question is:
>
> Can i use textconsoles with speakup under ubuntu 12.10 or 13.04 or shall i
> use a debian wheezy with speakup?
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> Regards
>
> Dietmar