Extended ASCII Characters

Steve Holmes steve at holmesgrown.com
Wed Apr 10 23:52:56 EDT 2013

I'm asking again about these extended characters with speakup.  I'm
using UTF-8 character set and every place there would be a normal
character to represent something like the boarder of a box in a dialog
or the corner of a box or whatever, I'm getting 3 characters for each
occurence and they are these ungoddly pronunciations and changing
punctuation does not keep them from being spoken.  So far, I think the
only way I've been able to stop this junk is to change locale.gen to
not include utf-8 but when I do that, it breaks a bunch of other
things including speech dispatcher.

Doesn't anyone else experience these funny characters? I really need
to eliminate these as it is making it nearly impossible to use a lot
of ncurses apps.