Ipods & Itunes

Igor Gueths igueths at lava-net.com
Tue Oct 27 11:30:36 EDT 2009

Hi.
On Tue, Oct 27, 2009 at 10:43:43AM -0400, Peter Tesar wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The Itunes software can be set to convert the downloaded unprotected files
> to the MP3 format.
> You don't need Itunes to download MP3 music and you don't need special
> softwar to copy (syncronize) the files to the portable device.
>
> Windows recognizes a portable device, connected via the USB port, as another
> drive letter. You can then use the Windows (or command line) copy command to
> transfer files to the drive.
>
> I'm not yet a full Linux user but I suspect it can transfer files to a
> device attached to the USB port.
> The MP3 player has a folder structure so you can choose to manually put the
> files where you want.

If you are referring to the IPod specifically, from what I remember, this is
true to an extent. ITunes obfuscates filenames, and keeps track of what is what
in its library (both on the computer, and the IPod itself). For this reason, I
don't think any new files you copy to it would be picked up natively, since you
would have to update the XML first. I don't know if this is still true for the
newer models; however, I do know that it applies to the hard disk-based ones.

> Personally I have ripped music files from CDs and copied them from vinal
> records. These are manually copied to the Olympus DS50 digital recorder. It
> plays MP3 and WMA files. The folder structure is limited but I don't need
> the many layers of Categorizing.
>
> I hope that this helps.

> believed to be clean.

- --