Which hardware synthesizer to buy?

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Thu May 28 06:44:09 EDT 2009

I'm sorry to be dense here, but what's the problem with the Trippletalk?
I'm using both a Doubletalk LT and Trippletalk also on different
machines and both work great. I recently upgraded to the latest Speakup
from git on the machine running the Trippletalk and it kept on talking
just fine. I've actually had more problems with the machine running the
Doubletalk because the Speakup is older and still tries to probe for the
synthesizer. Maybe I'm lucky and the breakage happened after the git
version that I'm running, but it's within the last couple months. I can
get the exact date if it matters. I'm running 64-bit Debian Lenny with a
few packages from testing if that makes any difference. I'm going to try
grml 2008.11 today and see what happens, but I'm not anticipating a
problem. The only other thing I can add is that my Trippletalk is
somewhat old, so perhaps it has older ROM firmware. I think Speakup says
it's version 2.8. The Doubletalk LT is 5.20.