speakup problems using vim 7.2

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Mon May 25 10:35:45 EDT 2009

Kitty Litter writes:
> I recently got a new machine and installed Debian Squeeze and the vim
> editor along with latest speakup and 2.6.29.1 kernel. When I use vim in
> insert mode speakup echoes 2 or 3 characters before the cursor. This even
> happens over ssh connection so I suppose it really isn't a speakup
> problem. Anyone have a clue how to configure vim so it doesn't do this?

Well, it's not you and it's not Debian. I'm seeing the same under
Fedora. I believe this problem arrived with vim 7. I am now on Fedora
7.2 and this problem is definitely there. I don't know what is causing
it or how to cure it. It is very annoying, needless to say.

I can describe it a bit more precisely, I think.

*	The first char typed on a line will echo just that char.

*	The second, and every subsequent, char will attempt to pronounce
*	the two chars or read them out separately. For instance, if the
*	first char is an 'a', Speakup will say a. If the second char is
*	a 'd', Speakup will say 'ad'. If the first is a 'b' and the
*	second a 'd', Speakup says 'bd'.

Janina