Accessible Ubuntu Installation?

Michael Whapples mwhapples at aim.com
Sun May 24 13:32:11 EDT 2009

I don't know what the status is with ubuntu, but generally its GUI based
and so concentrates on orca.

I will try and attend to your GRML issues. Firstly if you have more than
one sound card check both cards for audio output, it can be
unpredictable which will be used as the default card when booting the
liveCD. Also remember that passing the swspeak command at the boot
prompt only prepares the system for software speech output, you should
hear a message saying that software speech is enabled and to run swspeak
when booting finishes and another telling you that booting has finished.
I find the one telling you that booting has finished tells you a few
seconds before the command prompt actually appears. Once booting has
finished then run the command:
swspeak
and speakup should start talking via software speech.

If you hear neither of the boot messages, either your sound isn't
working (although I would expect the SB live to work without issue) or
your listening through the wrong sound card (hence my earlier comment to
try and listen to both).

Unfortunately the "which sound card" issue can't be solved entirely for
liveCDs (I believe it affects more than GRML) but once installed it can
be solved with the index option to the sound modules and may be
~/.asoundrc files. Also you may be able to do something if you use GRML
as a liveCD regular by looking into some of its persistance options for
storing settings perminantly.

Does any of this help with GRML?

Michael Whapples