Saving Settings?

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Mon Aug 25 06:00:42 EDT 2008

Gregory Nowak wrote:
>> Seemed that a while ago if you changed a parameter-and-it were
>> out-of-range, it would mention its alowd values.
>>

> It still does. If you didn't get an error, then your value must have
> been correct. Whether you actually see the effects of the new value is
> a different matter, but I just checked to be sure, and you are still
> told what the valid range for a parameter is if you've put in the
> wrong value.

Hmm, that's very interesting.  I have tried this with the 3.0.2
20080517, 3.0.3 20080724 and my own git pull from earlier in August.  I
can write anything I want to the files in /sys/module/speakup/parameters
and I get no errors.  I thought the same as you, but it left the value
as it was before, not what I put in.  I was playing with the
trigger_time as per Samuel's suggestion.  I had no idea what the allowed
range was so I just started echoing numbers.  I could echo 999
 >trigger_time and I got no error, but "cat trigger_time" gave me 25 or
something like that.  If I echoed 0, it still remained at 25.  I finally
discovered from trial and error that 10 seemed to be about the lowest I
could go without getting errors.  Maybe for pitch, rate, and volume it
works better.  On the other hand, if I use the Speakup keys to adjust
rate and volume, it beeps when it hits the max rate and wraps around to
0 after it hits volume 9.  I only discovered that by accident because I
was using the 3.0.2 20080517 version with the bug not letting me write
to the parameters files directly.