Speech-Dispatcher Issues

Robert Spangler spangler.robert at gmail.com
Sun Aug 17 21:48:14 EDT 2008

Hello All,

This email should probably be sent to Heinek Hanke (excuse any
misspellings) but I don't have his email address.  Anyways - I set up
Speech-Dispatcher on my system to use with Voxin/IBMTTS that I just
purchased with Orca.  I want to say, first, that I find performance with
Speech-Dispatcher to be slightly more responsive than Gnome-Speech.
However, there are some issues.  With IBMTTS/Voxin, it doesn't appear to
be possible to change the rate and other params unless those params were
left out of the say line in ibmtts-generic.conf.  I emailed the Voxin
maintainer regarding this issue.  Next, and this issue occurs with
Espeak, too: When using Speech-Dispatcher, and I encounter something
that is capitalized, the synth remains in a higher-pitched voice and the
pitch does not drop back to its original level.  I would rather use
Speech-Dispatcher because of its performance enhancements but these two
issues prevent me from doing so.  Can anyone let me know if these are
being looked into?

Thanks,
Robby