mlb, nfl and iceweasel

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Sun Aug 17 05:35:43 EDT 2008

Cheryl Homiak wrote:
> On nfl I just got through the login and it said it was dowloading the ram
> file but unfortunately I don't have realplayer on here. Is there an
> up-to-date realplayer for linux?

Hi,

I would suggest joining the Orca list as this really isn't on topic for
Speakup.  Speakup is designed for the console, not the GUI.  Yes, there
is a "free" player called Helix which is the RealPlayer equivalent for
Linux.  I don't know if it's really free or not and I'm pretty sure that
Debian doesn't package it.  Look for helix or helixplayer.  I don't
remember the site offhand but try helixplayer.org or similar.  You might
have to build from source.  Since you're on a Mac, why not just get
RealPlayer for OS X which might also run Helix?  You could just download
the ram file and play it from the Mac side.  I haven't used any GUI
RealPlayer in Linux at all and the last TRPlayer I used I think only
worked with RealPlayer 8 or 7.  Also, MPlayer might work as I think it
can use the Real codecs.  Try installing the win32-codecs package from
http://debian-multimedia.org/ or from Ubuntu as Debian won't officially
support them because they are non-free.  Also try helix-player.org or of
course Google.  I don't know if debian-multimedia ships Real/Helix or
not, I've not looked.