An official slightly off topic anouncement

Albert E. Sten-Clanton albert.e.sten_clanton at verizon.net
Fri Feb 23 17:43:50 EST 2007

I am indeed trying to learn Linux because of Microshaft and its non-free software buddies.  This partly arises from my notions of freedom, which indeed have been influence by the "free software" movement, as I understand it.  Derivative, perhaps, but also important in its own right, is the belief that, if I work long and hard enough, I can create the software I want, and need not settle for what's out there.

That said, I do not regard it as a virtue that using Linux may separate "the men from the boys."  In order for Linux or any other "free software" to do the job that Richard Stallman and his ilk have in mind, it will have to become friendly to the user whose love of technical knowledge analogizes to the difference between the temperature of liquid helium and absolute zero.  More precisely, there will have to be that choice, while propellerheads and propellerhead wannabees retain the option of doing all sorts of esoteric stuff.  My impression is that Fedora, Ubuntu, and sSuse are aiming somewhat in that direction, and there may be other variants.  For my part, I only wish this apparently increasing friendliness was at least optionally text-based:  I gather that, even with best efforts by Willie Walker and others, blind people still can make better use of the Windblows gui than any Linux gui.

Just my notions!

Al