Speech-Dispatcher and Punctuation

Steve Holmes steve at holmesgrown.com
Sun Feb 4 20:57:38 EST 2007

On Sun, Feb 04, 2007 at 10:15:36PM +0000, Jonathan Duddington wrote:
> Usually the names of punctuation characters are spoken by the program
> which calls eSpeak.
>
> However, you can make eSpeak speak punctuation characters by using its
> command-line option:
>   espeak --punct
>
> Or if you want it to speak only some punctuation characters, you can
> give it a string which contains those punctuation characters, eg.
>   espeak --punct=",.?!"

Yes, I did mess with that some and that worked.  However, in the
speechd-el example, I then couldn't control punctuation levels from
within speechd-el.  I think the situation with speechd-el is all
punctuations are sent through and the punc level is set by changing the
punct level in speech-dispatcher.  Apparently, even if
speech-dispatcher's punct level is set to none and --punct is used,
espeak still speaks the characters.  So I find myself with a "all or
nothing" situation:).

I wonder if EmacSpeak handles this better than speechd-el.

--
HolmesGrown Solutions
The best solutions for the best price!