getting started with linux

Doug Sutherland doug at proficio.ca
Sun Aug 12 19:40:30 EDT 2007

Greg wrote:
> It looks like the answer to that is yes, though I've never tried it.
> http://www.mingw.org

I have used mingw to write windows applications, but I did that on windows
not linux. The reason to use it was to use GNU compiler and tools instead
of microsoft or other vendor windows based development tools. There is a
win32 api for mingw, and it definitely works, also does work on linux.

http://www.mingw.org/MinGWiki/index.php/build%20a%20Win32%20x-compiler%20for%20Linux

Mingw is nice due to its minimalist approach relative to cygwin, which has
so much stuff its astonishing. However, the win32 api itself is quite
complex.
It takes some time to figure out how to do the simplest of apps in win32
due its window and associated event/class model. No simple hello world
on win32.

But that's windows for you :)

  -- Doug