How different is Speakup from JAWS

Cody Hurst churst35 at verizon.net
Sun Aug 12 06:14:52 EDT 2007

Hello,

Speakup only works in the console it will not work under a desktop
environment. Further more, a hardware synth is required to use speakup,
although some people have gotten software synthisizers to work but that
takes some playing with. If you want to use a gui because you might not be
too sharp on commands in linux, consider Orca for the gnome desktop it is
included in the ubuntu live CD and you can read more about orca at
http://live.gnome.org/Orca. To download a live ubuntu cd visit
www.cdimage.ubuntu.com. A live cd is a fully functional linux operating
system however it runs all from the CD and never touches your hard drive, so
you can try linux before you install it. Another distro called Grml is a
speakup modified distro that has no graphical desktop and is only command
line based is also available if you have a hardware synth and want to give
it a try.

  Basically Orca is a scriptable screen reader for the gnome 2.16 desktop.
But first before diving into any of this, I recommend learning a tad about
whaqt linux is, as you sound very new and it might prove useful to read up
on what Linux is and how it works in general terms. Don't let it scare you
off, it's just that in my opinion you might be better off knowing what
you're doing in the long run.

Have fun,
  Cody