My Views Regarding Kernel Vs. Userspace

ace ace at talkingirc.net
Fri Aug 10 10:21:05 EDT 2007

Hello all,

I have some opinions and a question.  First, I agree with Greg that we don't
absolutely need to hear every single boot message.  I also agree that some
of us do, however.  For instance, John (I believe it was) would be someone
who these messages would benefit as he is a Linux administrator.  I agree
that there are ways around the problem of not hearing boot messages but if I
am administering something I like to know that I have access to the boot
process.  So, in a way, it's kind of a security thing.  Also, it's just the
idea of it.  Sighted people have been able to see boot messages forever  and
now that we as blind people can, it is not easy to give up this ability.  I
suppose, however, for the typical user, missing a few boot messages wouldn't
hurt.

Now, to my question.  If Speakup were to run in userspace, would it be able
to start before the init program?  The reason I ask is because, on my LFS
system, I totally stripped the SystemV scripts that came with it and wrote
my own.  Well, I forgot to make rc.sysinit (all of the mount commands, etc)
executable.  This rendered my system unbootable; however, Speakup was to the
rescue.  It told me that it could not run rc.sysinit because it was not
executable and it gave me a few other errors.  So, after a few boots into
the GRML CD, editing the file, and restarting, I got it fixed.  This is
because Speakup was able to read to me the boot messages.  So, again, if
Speakup were in userspace, what would I have done?  Would I not be left in
the cold?

Thanks,
Robby