debian installation

Marcel Oats moats at orcon.net.nz
Sun Feb 12 03:40:31 EST 2006

Hi Ned, all files will be on hdb, however you partition it, as your WinXP
drive is full.
I just selected everything, except manual package selection.  If you install
a desktop system, you'll get the X server, whereas you'd just get a shell if
you install any other server-based platform.  They're all [*] kind of
checkboxes anyway, and the whole thing here is taking up about 5.2 gb, I
think.
Also, if you install the desktop system as well as other stuff, you can then
install gnopernicus, by logging into a shell and typing
apt-get install gnopernicus
and it'll retrieve it from the net.  Good luck getting it working, I
couldn't, which I think is a pity, as I'd like to see what it's like.

Glad to be of assistance, hopefully!

I did an
apt-get dist-upgrade
on my system, which brought most of the components up-to-date.  It did *not*
alter the base kernel, but replaced some modules, so if you do that, follow
their instructions and reboot immediately.  Since doing that, I've noticed
disk writes are a lot quicker.

Marcel