Linux text-editing question

Sean McMahon smcmahon at usgs.gov
Tue Feb 15 11:04:13 EST 2005

Telnet is friendlier if you have the ability to use telnet. Have your shell set
to bash or tcsh.  Set your term variable to vt100 and unset your display
variable.  If you have a .xsession file put # symbols infront of every line.
Use emacs because in emacs, you can use controll p to move up, control n to move
down, control a for beginning of line, control e for end of line, control b for
back, control f for forward.  This gets around any windows speech
program/terminal conflict.  There are a few other helpful commands but you can
find them by using emacs info facility and reading the tutorial.  When in emacs,
set your windows screen reader to highlighted text echo.  One other thing that
might help you, if the backspace won't work, sometimes the delete key actually
performs a backspace under remote sessions.
hth
Sean